Arrest made in violent Robberies
Richmond, Police Dog Services
2020-07-23 10:56 PDT
File # 2020-18021
At approximately 11:42 pm on July 6, 2020 Richmond RCMP responded to a business in the 6000 block of Blundell Road after a female was discovered lying on the ground. The female told Front-line officers that she had been robbed. She alleged that during the course of the robbery the male suspect had tasered her multiple times. The victim also stated she believed a female suspect was involved, as the victim heard her talking to the male suspect.
During the robbery, the victim sustained significant injuries requiring hospitalization.
The Lower Mainland Integrated Police Dog Services (IPDS) were immediately engaged to search for the suspect, however, he had already fled the area.
At approximately 12:28 am on July 7, 2020 Richmond RCMP received reports of a second robbery in the 7700 block of Firbridge Way. The victim alleged she was pepper sprayed by a male who then forcefully took her purse while in the parkade of her residence.
The victim stated there were two suspects involved, a male and female. She advised that while struggling with the male, a blue BMW pulled up and a female got out. This female then allegedly grabbed the victim and pulled off her sweater. The victim, however, managed to escape and run off, at which point the two suspects departed in the vehicle.
The victim sustained minor injuries.
Richmond RCMP General Investigation Section took conduct of the investigation. Since the initial reports, they have conducted an extensive and thorough investigation. With the assistance of the Richmond RCMP Property Crime Unit, the suspect was quickly identified and evidence associated to the alleged offences were recovered. Officers from the Property Crime Unit ultimately located and arrested the male on July 17, 2020.
Karim Vellani has now been charged with:
• Count 1 on or about July 6, 2020, at or near Richmond BC, did commit an offence of Robbery, contrary to section 344(1)(b) Criminal Code.
• Count 2 on or about July 6, 2020, at or near Richmond BC, did commit an offence of assault causing bodily harm contrary to section 267(b) Criminal Code.
• Count 3 on or about July 6, 2020, at or near Richmond BC, did commit an offence of Possess non-firearm unauthorized, contrary to section 91(2) Criminal Code.
• Count 4 on or about July 6, 2020, at or near Richmond BC, did commit an offence of Possess non-firearm knowing unauthorized, contrary to section 92(2) Criminal Code.
• Count 5 on or about July 9, 2020, at or near Surrey BC, did commit an offence of Identity theft, contrary to section 402.2(1} Criminal Code.
• Count 6, on or about July 9 2020, at or near Surrey BC, did commit an offence of Drive while disqualified under CCC, contrary to section 320.18(1)(a) Criminal Code.
• Count 7, on or about July 9 2020, at or near Surrey BC, did commit an offence of Dangerous operation of a Conveyance, contrary to section 320.13(1) Criminal Code
Vellani was remanded.
Vellani is known to police.
These were brazen attacks that neither victim could foresee. Both of them were simply doing things they had done countless times before and never expected they would be violently accosted, says Inspector Michael Cohee, Officer-In-Charge of Investigative Support Services,
I know if this was my mother I would want her to be able to walk freely in her neighbourhood without fear. The public in Richmond deserve to feel safe and our officers have worked diligently to identify and secure criminal charges against the suspect.
Richmond RCMP Watch General Investigation Unit has conduct of this investigation.
Sgt. Stephanie AshtonNCO i/c Client Services
11411 No. 5 Road, Richmond, BC, V7A 4E8
- Date modified: